'port upgrade outdated' stops at gcc44

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 28 11:53:38 PDT 2011

On May 28, 2011, at 08:45, Peng Yu wrote:

> 'port upgrade outdated' stops at gcc44. Does anyone know why this
> happens and how to fix it?
>
> $sudo port upgrade outdated
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for gcc44
> --->  Fetching gcc44
> --->  Attempting to fetch gcc-core-4.4.6.tar.bz2 from
> ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-4.4.6/

This was just answered again recently:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2011-May/024362.html

The GNU FTP server seems to have problems for some users (including me) and randomly disconnects in a way that MacPorts doesn't detect that this has happened (and MacPorts continues waiting forever for data that will never arrive). You could cancel and try again and MacPorts might pick a different mirror, but if it picks the GNU FTP server again, it will probably fail again. Try downloading the files manually from a MacPorts mirror like http://distfiles.macports.org/gcc44/ and putting them where MacPorts expects them (in this case, /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/gcc44).