py25-scipy failing due to arch flags set in python25 PortGroup

Adam Mercer ram at macports.org
Mon May 30 08:21:26 PDT 2011

Hi

In try to fix a build error in py25-scipy (#29644[1]) it's failing with:

:info:build Undefined symbols:
:info:build   "_Py_BuildValue", referenced from:
:info:build       _f2py_rout__fftpack_destroy_dct1_cache in _fftpackmodule.o
:info:build       _f2py_rout__fftpack_destroy_dct2_cache in _fftpackmodule.o
:info:build       _f2py_rout__fftpack_destroy_ddct1_cache in _fftpackmodule.o
:info:build       _f2py_rout__fftpack_destroy_ddct2_cache in _fftpackmodule.o
<snip>

I've found a similar report of the same error on the SciPy mailing list:

<http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2009-November/013412.html>

and the solution was found to be that overwriting CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and
FFLAGS with "-arch x86_64" was leading to this error and simply not
setting these fixed the build.

<http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2009-December/013429.html>

These flags are set in the python25 PortGroup and commenting out the
setting the these variables allows the build to succeed. So this is
the same problem as was reported on the SciPy mailing list, and the
same solution works.

I imagine these flags are set so that the build arch is respected, but
they are causing a problem in this case I'm not sure of the best way
to proceed. Is there a way I can tell the PortGroup not to set these
flags? Doing this will mean that this port can only build the
architecture on which it is running, do we have a syntax for
specifying that?

Cheers

Adam

[1] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29644>