Snort: /opt/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.dylib: No such file or directory

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 5 20:41:04 PDT 2011

On Nov 5, 2011, at 21:23, Jean-Francois Gobin wrote:

> I reproduced that home. The files are compiled as so files, not dylib.
>
> From the macport tree, I cp'd the snort tarball into a directory
> within my home,
>
> cd ./var/macports/distfiles/snort
> cp snort-2.9.0.5.tar.gz ~/temp
>
> Then I went there, untar'd the archive, cd'd, ran configure, then:
>
> cd src/dynamic-plugins
> make
> cd sf_engine
> gcc -dynamiclib -o libsf_engine.dylib -dylib bmh.o sf_ip.o
> sf_snort_detection_engine.o sf_snort_plugin_api.o
> sf_snort_plugin_byte.o sf_snort_plugin_content.o
> sf_snort_plugin_hdropts.o sf_snort_plugin_loop.o
> sf_snort_plugin_pcre.o sf_snort_plugin_rc4.o sfghash.o sfhashfcn.o
> sfprimetable.o
>
> and copied the resulting dylib into /opt/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/
>
> In /opt/local/etc/snort/snort.conf.dist, you have to comment
>
> # dynamicdetection directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrules
>
> Otherwise it will look in /usr for the dynamic rules.
>
> Also, you have to make sure your include statements point to rules,
> and that you're logging into something you have access to.
>
> I had to change/suppress a bunch of configuration lines: compress_,
> decompress_, normalize and so forth. At the end, it worked.

Can you turn these instructions into a portfile patch?

It seems like the only thing it's doing wrong at the moment is using the ".so" extension when it should use the ".dylib" extension. It seems like that might be a simple thing to fix.

I submitted a ticket to update snort to the latest version, but it does not fix this problem.