texi2html won't build

Michael O'Brien Michael.T.OBrien at notes.aero.org
Wed Nov 9 16:10:22 PST 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2011, at 12:53, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> 	First off, what's with all the "User 503" stuff?  True, I don't have one,
>>> so why is it popping up?  A search finds that a whole bunch of stuff in
>>> the MacPorts directory is owned by "User 503".  I didn't change the
>>> owner; there's never been a "User 503" on this system that I know of (my
>>> own UID is 504).
>>
>> If your ID has made it up to 504, then there were 502 and 503 users at
>> some point.
>>
>> My guess is MacPorts thinks it has its user at 503 to build without being
>> root/you.
>
> But MacPorts shouldn't be installing any files owned by that user.
>

>> What ever happened to user 503? :-\
>
> Another question: what uid is the macports user on your system now? Or is there no macports user?

There is no MacPorts user.  The login history of this machine is complex.  Until recently it was joined, using Likewise, to a corporate Active Directory server.  We de-joined it because Likewise was spamming the logs, and MacPorts is enough fun without dealing with Likewise stealing cycles.  At the moment we have users 501, 502, and 504, plus a disabled Guest account.  Doubtless there was a User 503, but right now, according to "find", the only stuff owned by 503 is in the MacPorts directory.  Macports' entire prefix directory, as well as /Applications/Macports, was deleted and reinstalled/regenerated from scratch after that change took place, so it appears to be pulling User 503 out of thin air.  At the moment the only things owned by that user are out in the MacPorts prefix directory.  And, as I say, this is a clean install of MacPorts from source, with only the --prefix changed.

Mike O'Brien