Prompt what package to install when it is missing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:43:28 PST 2011

Actually, it's only fairly recently that Linux package managers started
shipping with a master package manifest that could be queried for this kind
of thing, and it's an add-in instead of basic behavior; as such, it's only
"fundamental" in the sense that there's only one such manifest to query on
any given Linux system.

That said, it's still an add-in we don't have the ability to provide as yet.

It strikes me as not very difficult to create an extensible mechanism that
different package providers could opt in to, by the way.  Not that I would
expect e.g. the Mac App Store to do so.  (Also perhaps not a good idea
given the kinds of messes you can get in to if you have development
packages from both e.g. MacPorts and Fink installed.)