Prompt what package to install when it is missing

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 13:31:45 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 16:17, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Other times, we want to know what port provides a certain header or
> library we don't have on our systems that's causing some port to fail to
> build because someone forgot a dependency.

This we need anyway, as it's a basis for what's being requested.

> What do Ubuntu or other distributions do, and how do they do them? I
> haven't used them.

They define in an /etc/profile.d inclusion a command-not-found trap that
queries a master database (a la "port provides" but against a database of
file locations if someone had every port installed) and suggests installing
(one of the) packages that provides it.