Upgrading MacPorts After Installing Lion

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 12 17:12:29 PST 2011

I haven't been diligently following this group since the release of Snow Leopard.  I just upgraded to Lion and downloaded the Xcode development software.

I used "sudo port selfupdate" to MacPorts.  This appeared to work without any problems.  I ran into a problem when I ran "sudo port upgrade outdated".

Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Cleaning gettext
--->  Uninstalling gettext @0.18.1.1_2
--->  Cleaning gettext
--->  Computing dependencies for gettext
--->  Fetching archive for gettext
--->  Attempting to fetch gettext-0.18.1.1_2.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/gettext
--->  Fetching gettext
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gettext
--->  Extracting gettext
--->  Applying patches to gettext
--->  Configuring gettext
--->  Building gettext
--->  Staging gettext into destroot
--->  Installing gettext @0.18.1.1_2
--->  Activating gettext @0.18.1.1_2
--->  Cleaning gettext
--->  Computing dependencies for help2man
Error: Dependency 'p5.12-locale-gettext' not found.
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

Looking back through the Terminal window, I saw several entries complaining about gettext being in use.  At this point, would I be better off uninstalling all of the ports and then build the ports of applications as they are needed?

--
Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com