gcc version mismatches

Kyle Husmann kyle.husmann at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:56:57 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> That sounds like a possibility. But my understand was that *usually* the mismatched stdc library versions aren't a problem, but that in some rare cases it is.

I think if apple shipped with a gnu stdc, everything would be just
fine because gnu provides backwards binary compatibility. I don't
think this is necessarily the case when mixing gnu stdc with apple's
stdc, which puts us into undefined-behavior-land.

So, while the problem might rarely manifest, I think it's definitely a
problem. (And especially a problem for scientific libs that scientists
trust to have very well defined behavior)