need help on upgrade macport

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 17 18:45:52 PST 2011

Phillip Koebbe wrote:

> I don't know how prevalent this is, but there are reports of Xcode 4.2 not playing nice with many things. The first I saw of it was a note in the RVM installation that indicated 4.2 would not build some rubies and gems correctly. I recently got a new Mac with Lion and installed 4.2 before installing MacPorts and some ports. One of the first ports I installed was PostgreSQL 9, and when trying to access the server via psql, I encountered a segmentation fault. Some googling around suggested the problem was Xcode 4.2, so I went back to 4.1 and haven't had any problems. My point in all this is that you might possibly encounter some problems with Xcode 4.2.

The problem is not Xcode 4.2 per se, but the fact that we use clang by default when using Xcode 4.2 and up. Some ports don't compile properly with clang, or compile but don't run properly. When you identify such ports, please file tickets in the issue tracker.

Jin Chen wrote:

> Ryan, it is true that I upgraded from Snow Leopard. So I followed the migration instructions and it seems work so far.
> Although, it took me ~24 hours to do so, which I think is too long.

Upgrading from Snow Leopard should not have been a big problem. Upgrading from Leopard or earlier was what I was talking about. But I'm glad you got things working by rebuilding everything.

Yes, it can take some time to rebuild all ports. Sorry about that. This will improve once we get a Lion buildbot set up, so that MacPorts can just download binaries instead of having to build them.