Binary builds???

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sat Nov 19 02:27:19 PST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
Yep, it works - as already posted - for one of my MacPorts trees. :-)
And that's the one located below /opt/local … ;-)

> I don't know the complete list of requirements. Archive type tbz2 is necessary as you found, as are the conditions I mentioned earlier.
Yep

> Also if you've compiled MacPorts in a different prefix than /opt/local you can't get the binaries.
Ha, THIS IS MY PROBLEM with respect to my other MacPorts trees.
They are NOT using /opt/local, but /opt/macports-test or /opt/clean-slate or stuff like that…

I wonder whether there will be support for alternative prefixes, if that's possible at all…

> If you have applications_dir or frameworks_dir set differently than the defaults, you'll still get the binaries, but applications and frameworks will go in their default locations, not your changed locations; we need to fix that, maybe by disabling binaries if you've changed applications_dir or frameworks_dir. There is a ticket.
OK, good to know. Will try to find that ticket now...

> My observation is that the archive that's downloaded takes the place of the one you would have otherwise compiled. Uninstalling the port deletes the archive (whether you built it or it got downloaded). Reinstalling the port requires downloading (or building) the archive again.
Yep.
Well, one has to admit, it's still so much quicker than building everything yourself. :-)