gcc46 and Boost

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 24 08:53:58 PST 2011

On Nov 24, 2011, at 09:10, Freddie Witherden wrote:

> On 23/11/2011 21:24, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> b) get macports to recompile boost with gcc46.
>>
>> It is not supported to do so, but if you would like to try it, to see if it solves the problem, you would:
>>
>> sudo port -ns upgrade --force boost configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.6
>
> Thanks for the idea.  It appears as if the configure script (or bjam)
> adds some Mac specific flags to the compiler command resulting in:
>
> :info:build g++-mp-4.6: error: x86_64: No such file or directory
> :info:build g++-mp-4.6: error: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
> :info:build g++-mp-4.6: error: unrecognized option '-arch'
>
> The -no-cpp-precomp flag should probably be removed -- it has been
> silently ignored since Apple GCC 3.3 [1] and so is not needed.  As for
> -arch I am not sure.

Hmm yes I see. -arch flags are not compatible with the FSF GCC compilers in MacPorts. You could probably

sudo port extract boost

then

cd $(port work boost)

then edit tools/build/v2/tools/darwin.jam to remove those flags, then

cd
sudo port -ns upgrade --force boost configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.6