$PATH

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 16:22:48 PST 2011

Hi, all.

This question is driving me crazy so I'm going to have to ask it.

I need to use the System Ruby for a Rails project & all is set-up except I
can't set the `which ruby` to /usr/bin it keeps returning /opt/local (I've a
copy of ruby 1.8.7 I downloaded by MacPorts).

I've tried all different incantations starting from the usual `export
PATH=/usr/bin/ruby:$PATH` in my .bash_profile to more esoteric ones in my
basrc, ~/.MacOS X/environment.plist & so on. I sourced the .bash_profile,
quit iTerm & restarted but no deal.

My editor TextMate's shell variable happily set it to the System Ruby. My
gem environment finds the System Ruby & bundler too so I'm at a loss as to
how to proceed.

I have rvm installed but neither of the rubies in question were downloaded
via that route. The only thing I can think of is my main $PATH has
/opt/local first & that's the cause of it. But I'd rather use a workaround
than alter the main path to /usr first as Ruby is the only System supplied
software that I'll ever use I think for development.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

    Phil...
--
Nothing to see here... move along, move along