Can I use Macports to update Enthought python?

David Nicholls david at mso.anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 25 22:03:18 PST 2011

On 26/11/2011, at 12:34 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:

__________
Research School of Astronomy & Astrophysics
Mt Stromlo Observatory
Australian National University

> Before doing anything funky with MacPorts, you might want to try installing pyside normally and then creating a symlink to the location Enthought expects it. So if pyside installs to /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PySide, try something like:
>
> $ sudo port install pyside
> $ cd /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> $ sudo mv PySide{,.backup}    # save in case anything goes wrong
> $ sudo ln -s /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PySide .
>
> There may be an .egg-info file in site-packages that you need to back up and symlink in the same fashionOK that's all done, but I can find no .egg-info for the Macports install, although there is one for the Enthought install, at /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.1/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PySide-1.0.5-1.egg-info

When I run Python (Enthought) and enter 'packages()' it still says 'PySide 1.0.5-1'

Is that as it  should be or does something else need to be done to tell the Enthought distro that it is using PySide 1.0.8?

Thanks.

DN