What/where Xcode 4.0.2 for Macports install in Snow Leopard?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Nov 27 11:26:20 PST 2011

In article <4ED2858C.80708 at gmail.com>,
 Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> But the current Xcode 4.2.1 requires Lion (OS X 10.7) and, as I said,
> I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Apple made a version of Xcode 4.0 available to the public through the
Mac App Store for a period prior to the launch of Lion which requires
Xcode 4.  I believe their motive was to give people who were not part of
the paid Mac Developer program to get a taste of what was coming with
Xcode 4 in Lion (i.e. removing PPC support and older SDKs and moving
from plain gcc to llvm-gcc and eventually clang).  However, once Lion
was released, they replaced Xcode 4.0 in the App Store with Xcode 4.1
which is only supported on Lion, leaving the adventurous Xcode 4.0 Snow
Leopard users scratching their heads.

Unless you really need something from Xcode 4.0, your best bet on Snow
Leopard is to go back to Xcode 3, the standard for 10.6.  Xcode 3.2.6 is
available for free download from the Apple Developer Center website
after free registration.  At the ADC web site, click on the Resources
link (http://developer.apple.com/resources/) and then on "Mac OS X
Downloads" (which will require you to login).

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org