Can't install - 'Xcode is not installed..'

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Oct 4 07:35:22 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 02:48, Dominik Reichardt <domiman at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's Apples fault for not taking care of this expectations mismatch, they should just initiate the installer after download (or give some dialog that this is just the installer and it needs to be run first).

I think this is an area where MacPorts is exposing a niche bug.
Most users who download Xcode from the Mac App Store are going to want
to run it immediately or somewhat soon. They'll quickly realize that
only an installer has been downloaded and they still need to run that
in order to use Xcode.

MacPorts users likely represent a decent pool of users who simply want
Xcode in order to run MacPorts and think downloading from the store is
all that they need to do; everything else downloaded from the MAS
works that way.

While it'd be nice if Apple already notified users, I wouldn't be
surprised if they saw it as an unnecessary effort.

Checking for the installer would be a nice touch on MacPorts' part.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448