Binary package priorities

Scott Webster sewebster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:25:02 PDT 2011

I don't know anything about the GSoC project, but it seems like it
would be fairly straightforward to process the webserver logs to see
what people are upgrading.  Something like this:

-regexp out lines with requested package names
-cut out everything but the package name/arch/etc.
-sort by name
-count how many times each one appears

Of course, this only tells you what people are upgrading, not what
people have installed.  But perhaps that's what's most important to be
able to provide anyway.  I guess you could think about whether or not
what people upgraded in the past is an accurate predictor of what they
will upgrade in the future.

Producing binaries which are often requested makes sense, but I guess
if a port is popular but not often updated it wouldn't take much
server-side build time to produce the binary.

Hmm, looks like you could almost make a GSoC project out of this...

Scott