Unable to upgrade gnutls

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 6 17:05:43 PDT 2011

On Oct 6, 2011, at 18:05, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:

> I was wandering if you could help me understand why I am having problems upgrading gnutls in one of my computers
> I currently have:
>
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   gnutls @2.8.6_1+universal (active)
>
> and when I run 'port upgrade outdated'
> I get:
>
> --->  Computing dependencies for gnutls
> --->  Fetching archive for gnutls
> --->  Attempting to fetch gnutls-2.12.11_0+universal.darwin_10.i386-x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/gnutls
> --->  Fetching gnutls
> --->  Attempting to fetch gnutls-2.12.11.tar.bz2 from http://mirror.facebook.net/gnu/gnu/gnutls
> --->  Attempting to fetch gnutls-2.12.11.tar.bz2 from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/gnu/ftp/gnu/gnutls
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for gnutls
> --->  Extracting gnutls
> --->  Configuring gnutls
> --->  Building gnutls
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed (see log for details)
> Log for gnutls is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_gnutls/gnutls/main.log
> Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

In the log you sent it shows:

> warning: in /opt/local/lib/libgcrypt.dylib, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

So it sounds like your libgcrypt port is not installed for the same architectures that you're installing gnutls for now. Specifically, you're installing gnutls for i386 and x86_64, and libgcrypt doesn't have i386.

What's the output of:

port -v installed libgcrypt
lipo -info /opt/local/lib/libgcrypt.dylib

MacPorts should have taken care of upgrading libgcrypt to compatible architectures, unless it was last updated a long time ago, before MacPorts 1.9.