system git vs MacPorts git for fetching source

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 08:40:07 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Adam Mercer <ram at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As the source for certain ports are obtained by Git I've been seeing a
> problem regarding fetching the source related to a setting I have in
> my ~/.gitconfig, specifically:
>
> [push]
>  default = upstream

You could always change this to tracking instead for the time being.  From
git 1.7.7 manpage:

           o    tracking - deprecated synonym for upstream.

> I believe this option was added in Git-1.7.0, when source is fetched
> for port that use git the fetch fails with the following error:
>
> :debug:fetch Executing: /usr/bin/git clone -q
> https://github.com/pieter/gitx.git
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_devel_GitX/GitX/work/GitX-0.7.1
> 2>&1
> :info:fetch error: Malformed value for push.default: upstream
> :info:fetch error: Must be one of nothing, matching, tracking or current.
>
> i.e. the system git is being used and as this does not recognise the
> configuration option it is therefore failing.
>
> Can't the MacPorts git be used in preference to the one supplied by Xcode?

Can you simply rearrange PATH (so that `which git` returns
/opt/local/bin/git rather than /usr/bin/git if it doesn't already), or is
/usr/bin/git hard-coded into port somewhere?  Also, since when has Apple
started supplying git with Xcode?  Lion?  And what version is it?  I'm
hesitant to make the jump since I really don't want to break my current
setup (and I still remember 10.6 being quasi-painful)...

All the best,
Jason

> Cheers
>
> Adam