prerequisites of knowledge

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:59:14 PDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM, trout swim <gray3246t at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello
> i have looked at the FAQ in Macports and in the wiki and have yet to see
> any prerequisites for a persons knowledge base and that persons ability to
> work with the Bash command line or conditional programming.
> In the last few years while i have self taught in the http document mark up
> and dynamic aspects in PHP, MySQL, and some Javascript i have come to see a
> lot of screaming "help me" in forums as well as a lot of miss leading dog`y
> do.
> I have a few books in the Mac area of Unix, but i see it all boils down to
> the shell. either bash or korn or any other that i cannot remember at this
> time of writing.
> I have found the GNU web page http://www.gnu.org/s/bash/manual/bash.html and
> i am studying that.
>

> So if there were any prerequisites written some where in relationship to
> the Macports project would those prerequisites boil down to being
> comfortable with simple commands and complex commands using a host of
> predefined command line characters in conjunction with supporting options
> and any and all of the characters and their pre defined uses.

As Bradley mentioned, the only commands really needed to run MacPorts is
"sudo" and "port", (and Google :).

However, there are GUI front-ends (at least PortAuthority, written by Kevin
Walzer) that remove the need to interact with the CL to install ports.
However, most ports don't build a double-clickable App package, so most you
need to run the program from the command-line anyway.  Furthermore,
debugging build issues for various ports requires a much deeper knowledge
depending on the particular package (for instance, I had problems with
"meld" that I fixed by hacking the meld script to call a different Python
version on the shebang line...).

All the best,
Jason