How to create a package uninstaller

Michael O'Brien Michael.T.OBrien at notes.aero.org
Tue Oct 18 14:54:42 PDT 2011

Sorry, forgot the body of the message!

	I've built my own Portfile to create a metaport of Python(x,y), which is a sort of open-source Matlab replacement.  It consists of about forty packages, most of which are already part of Macports.  When the repository is healthy you can install it like a regular Macport (which it is, it's just not in the repository), and if you don't run Macports on a particular Mac, well, you can just create a metapackage on a Mac that does, and install from the metapackage.

	And there's the rub.  The metapackage installs and works just fine, thank you very much, but I've now been asked to come up with a way to UN-install it.  Frankly I don't know how to do this.  The info we need is buried in the metapackage file, obviously, but if the Apple installer puts a log receipt anywhere of what it's done in a format I could use to build something to remove all those files, I've not found it yet.

	So, question: If I use Macports to create a package file, or a metapackage file, how can I then create an UN-installer for it?  I don't want to just blindly remove all of /opt/local.  I just want to remove exactly the set of files that were installed by the (meta)package.

	Thanks!

Mike O'Brien