user && group settings www folder MacPorts WAMP

Banana mail at bananas-playground.net
Thu Oct 27 00:33:09 PDT 2011

On 27.10.11 08:43, Jasper Frumau wrote:
> The best way to "solve" those issues, would be to leave the rights as
> they are but add the write permission to the group.
>
> Well, a bit too late for me I'm afraid. I tried chown - R jasper:admin
> and chown -R _www:admin and now most if not all sites in /opt/loca/www
> do not load anymore. Any ideas how I can fix this and have WordPress,
> osDate, Joomla! and so on running on my localhost again?

You need to make sure that the owner of the webserver process has rights
to write data into the webroot.

Check the User and Group setting in /opt/loca/apache/conf/httpd.conf
If an application writes data eg. in its temp folder, it tries to do
this with the user/group as defined in /opt/loca/apache/conf/httpd.conf.

If you only develop local and not with multiple users or not serve the
content to the internet, then you can try this:

Change the User/group setting to your login user/group in
/opt/loca/apache/conf/httpd.conf and restart the webserver. Then chown
the files in your webroot to your user/group.

Since you are the only one who changes the files there should be no
confilict anymore, since the webserverprocess runs as the same user as you.

~Banana