PhpMyAdmin question

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:06:46 PDT 2011

my experience...

On Oct 28, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2011, at 6:10 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> On 27/10/11 at 01:01, ryandesign at macports.org (Ryan Schmidt) wrote:
>>
>>> Yes you do need to somehow get phpmyadmin into your web space. One way would be to create a symlink in your document root. For example if your document root is /opt/local/apache2/htdocs you could do:
>>>
>>> cd /opt/local/apache2/htdocs
>>> ln -s /opt/local/www/phpmyadmin phpmyadmin
>>
>> I took your advice & rather than move the phpmyadmin directory, I used the symlink above.
>>
>> MySQL throws the error `access denied #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured) when the phpMyAdmin front page loads.
>>
>> in config.inc.php the socket is /tmp/mysql.sock which works with PHP files. I spent a good while Googling this but nothing of any use came up.
>
> With a default MacPorts prefix your mysql5 socket should be here:
> /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock

With the path to the socket set as above, I got "access denied" and "is another server running" kind of messages. It was a permissions problem, but I couldn't quite figure out what permissions to set correctly (why didn't the installation change the permissions automatically?).

I then changed the socket file path to /tmp/msyqld.sock and all is well.