installing py27-scipy on Mac OS 10.7

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 28 14:30:39 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 14:26, Joe VanAndel wrote:

> macports states that it is building gcc44, and after several hours, I
> don't see any real progress .  I have two 'f951' tasks running, each
> consuming 2.8GB of real memory (and as much as 32GB of virtual).
>
> I've got 12GB of RAM, but my 2 x 8Ghz Dual-core Xeon Mac Pro is almost
> unusable while this build is running.

We are currently having a problem building the gcc ports with OS X 10.7.2 / Xcode 4.2.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/31604#comment:84

Please read my last comment in that ticket and see if my suggestion helps and let us know.

> The instructions for building scipy for Mac OS 10.7 refer to
> installing gfortran from
> http://r.research.att.com/gfortran-lion-5666-3.pkg .  Is there any way
> to build scipy in macports using that compiler?
>
> It looks like the scipy dependencies assumes that macports needs to
> build a fortran compiler from source.

Please do not install some other fortran compiler; it could interfere with the build of this or other ports (as installing other fortran compilers already has many times before, for example the libtool port).