Lots and lots of system time

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Oct 29 07:54:25 PDT 2011

Please pardon me if this is off topic, but it is about a phenomenon I
only see when macports is compiling software: So I'd like to hear if
other macports users are seeing the same:

Namely, that the majority of CPU time while compiling is system time,
not user time. Right now, for example, I am compiling gimp2, and top
says

CPU usage: 10.34% user, 86.20% sys, 3.44% idle

It did not use to be this way. Unfortunately, several things got
upgraded about the same time, so I am not certain which one to blame:
The OS to Lion, and XCode and macports itself.

Does anyone else see this? Can you come up with a possible explanation
off the top of your head?

I thought it might be possible to play around with dtrace to find out
what system calls are sucking up all the time, but my dtrace-foo is
rather limited.

The system is a 13 inch MacBook Pro with SSD, not a HD. I have
full-disk encryption enabled, but I am pretty sure this started before
I turned it on.

- Harald