DBD::mysql question

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Oct 30 19:29:49 PDT 2011

On Oct 30, 2011, at 5:23 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with CPAN, but if it can be configured to install
> somewhere other than the default location, that would be fine. We should
> really modify its defaults so using it won't cause conflicts with p5
> ports. Same goes for similar tools for other languages like
> easy_install/pip, gem, and so on.

The way things work now:

we install into a vendor_perl directory, cpan installs into a 'site' (local) directory.

If you install a macports module and the same module from cpan, they both install (into their own directories).

The way we have macports perl configured, it will search your site (local) directory, then the vendor directory, then the directory where all the stuff that ships with perl lives.

This means, that your site (local/cpan) installed modules will override what macports installs (which may or may not be what you want).

Of course, scripts can request specific versions of modules too and things generally work how you would expect (directories in @INC searched in order until something matching is found).

--
Daniel J. Luke