Errors building gcc44 under MacOsX

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Sep 4 13:13:41 PDT 2011

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:00, David Epstein
> <David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>> :info:build ld: warning: ignoring file /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file
>> was
>> built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being
>> linked
>> (x86_64)
>>

> This is the key error.  Check the zlib port; is it installed for x86-64?

thanks for your help, but I'm out of my depth. Can I be sure that my chip is
indeed x86-64? How can I "check the zlib port"? I did
port info zlib
and got

zlib @1.2.5 (archivers)
Variants:             universal

legally
                      unencumbered, lossless data-compression library for
use on
                      virtually any computer hardware and operating system.
Homepage:             http://www.zlib.net/

Platforms:            darwin, freebsd
License:              zlib
Maintainers:          landonf at macports.org, ryandesign at macports.org,
                      openmaintainer at macports.org

Is this the only version of zlib available on MacPorts? How can I get hold
of a version of zlib that will work with my chip's instruction set?

Thanks
David