What is db46 and why is it such a pain?

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Sep 8 06:20:11 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 07:09, Yves S. Garret <yoursurrogategod at gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant ask you guys, what do you mean by this:
>
> > Try renaming the downloaded patch files to have a .html extension and loading them in a browser.

One of the possibilities when the patches fail the checksum is that
the download has been redirected to an error page, a license
agreement, or some other resource. MacPorts has retrieved whatever
this redirect is and named it according to what the patch *should*
have been named if the download was successful. In this case, you
might gain insight into what went wrong by renaming the downloaded
file with a ".html" extension and attempting to open it with a web
browser, or even a text editor.

If for example, the direct download had been redirected to a license
agreement, opening the file in a browser may display that agreement
and indicate how to restore the direct download. Or an improperly
served 404 page could indicate that the patch had been removed and
might even indicate where to find the replacement. Or it might
indicate a temporary failure and may offer a hint towards handling
such misbehaving servers in the future.

It's basically another debugging step that could provide additional
information if the problem had persisted.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448