Packages ignoring applications_dir

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Thu Sep 8 19:06:35 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 06:52:22PM -0700, Scott Webster said:
> It forces a build from source if you use a non-standard prefix?  Wouldn't it
> be straightforward to just replicate the same files into an alternate
> location?  The situation here seems slightly more complex since we're
> outside the $prefix/ tree...

Yup, if your prefix is not /opt/local, port always builds from source.
Libraries and executables both have hardcoded paths in them (you can use
'otool -L /some/lib/or/executable' to see) so building to one location then
moving will definitely break things.

There are also some ports with things like ${prefix}/etc and other paths
compiled into binaries, config files with paths, and so on.  All of that
means relocating would be a mess at best...

Bryan