"Upgraded" to 2.0.3, now MacPorts broken :(

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 12 17:25:03 PDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 15:13, Alexander Skwar wrote:

> Don't know if it matters, but I had several old versions still
> registered:
>
> MacBook-Pro:local alex$ sudo port -f uninstall libiconv
> --->  The following versions of libiconv are currently installed:
> --->      libiconv @1.13.1_0
> --->      libiconv @1.13.1_0+universal
> --->      libiconv @1.14_0+universal
>
> I removed all of them.

That's fine, either way.

> Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
> :info:install   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/xz
> :info:install   Reason: Incompatible library version: xz requires
> version 8.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 7.0.0

A-ha!

> :info:install : Write error: Broken pipesh: line 1: 54480 Done(1)
>           /usr/bin/tar -cvf - .
> :info:install      54481 Trace/BPT trap          | /opt/local/bin/xz
> -c6 > /opt/local/var/macports/software/libiconv/libiconv-1.14_0.darwin_10.x86_64.txz

So you are using xz-compressed tarballs instead of bzip2-compressed tarballs. I assume you requested that by modifying your macports.conf and setting portarchivetype to txz?

> I have now uninstalled xz at 5.0.{2,3}_0, BUT…
>
> MacBook-Pro:local alex$ sudo port install libiconv--->  Computing
> dependencies for libiconv
> Error: Target org.macports.archivefetch returned: Unsupported port
> archive type 'txz': Failed to locate 'xz' in path:

Indeed, since you've uninstalled the xz port, you no longer have the xz program and therefore cannot decompress .txz archives. Mac OS X does not come with an xz program.

I'm not certain how this can really ever work; MacPorts can't really depend on a program installed by itself to do its work because you'll run into problems like you're running into.

I recommend you set portarchivetype back to its default value tbz2, clean and uninstall libiconv, and try again.