Re: MacPorts selfupdate fails… v 1.9.2 to 2.0.3 w Xcode 4.1 - OSX 10.7.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 14 09:38:46 PDT 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 21:49, William H. Magill wrote:
> This is very weird… True… registry.db does not exist… no idea why unless the previous "selfupdate" attempt deleted it.
>                                   False… both my userid and root (sudo) can write to the directory.
> -----------------------------<cut here>--------------------------
> outpost> sudo port -v selfupdate
> Password:
> port registry doesn't exist at "/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db" and couldn't write to this location

[snip]

> Note: last activity had been 8 July when I successfully installed iStumbler.

July 8 predates MacPorts 2, unless you were running a beta version of it.

MacPorts 1 by default used a flat registry, not the new SQLite registry mandated by MacPorts 2.

When upgrading to MacPorts 2, it's supposed to detect if you're using the flat registry, and convert it to the new SQLite registry.

It looks like that conversion didn't happen in your case, or at least, didn't happen completely. Or maybe you thought selfupdate was taking too long and you interrupted it? The conversion can take hours depending on how many ports you have installed and how fast your computer is.

In that case, hopefully MacPorts hasn't removed the previous flat registry information, and it should be possible to "reset" MacPorts so that it tries the conversion again. But I forget how to make it do that.