MMTK

Jin-Rui Xu jrxu.bioinf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:29:55 PDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> Please keep the discussion on the mailing list by using the Reply All
> feature.
>

> On Sep 24, 2011, at 11:49, Jin-Rui Xu wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >> Are you sure that you're running MacPorts python 2.7, and not some other
> python?
> >
> > Yes, I am running 2.7. Here is the info
> >
> > Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jun 16 2011, 16:59:05)
> > [GCC 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.15.00)] on
> darwin
>
> What command produced that output?
>
> It's hard for me to know whether that indicates you're using MacPorts
> Python 2.7, or possibly Apple Python 2.7, if that's the version of Python
> that's on Lion.
>

> > I totally ran three commands to install and use MMTK. sudo port install
> py-MMTK, python and from MMTK import *. I do not know whether there are
> something else I need to set up. Thanks!
>
> Exactly how are you running your code? i.e. by typing "python" (in which
> case, what does "which python" say?), by typing python2.7, by typing
> /opt/local/bin/python2.7, etc.
>

> Hi Ryan,

I just typed "python" in my terminal to invoke interactive python. And I
think it was apple's python 2.7.1. Now I typed python2.7 or
/opt/local/bin/python2.7 and got the "MacPorts python2.7" which is
python2.7.2. With 2.7.2, MMTK modules can be imported. Thanks very much!

I am sure that my following questions are quite naive. But please explain a
little bit for me as well as people who are not familiar with CS like me~~

Can you explain differences between apple's python and Macports' python, why
typing "python" simply did not give the newest version of python and should
I set up manually to fix this and how?

jinrui,