Default `convert` command - MacPorts ImageMagick vs. existing installation

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 29 12:40:56 PDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 08:21, Sam Kuper wrote:

> I recently found that although my Mac had ImageMagick's `convert`
> program installed, the `mogrify` command didn't seem to be present. I
> didn't recall installing ImageMagick, and because of this fact, and
> also the fact that `which convert` yielded "/usr/local/bin/convert", I
> assumed that the `convert` command had come included with my OS
> (10.6.8), or perhaps the XCode or X11 utilities or some such. In other
> words, I assumed that the reason `convert` was installed was that I'd
> somehow obtained it via Apple.
>
> So my first question is: was this assumption likely to be correct?

No, Apple does not install software in /usr/local. That directory is traditionally for users to install software into.

However, doing so will interfere with various aspects of MacPorts, so we don't support users installing software there. Please remove /usr/local. This will also fix your issue of finding the MacPorts version of "convert".