MacTex vs MacPorts

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Sep 30 21:34:43 PDT 2011

Unless disk space is tight, or theres the potential for path confusion that couldnt be trivially avoided if one had both, I'd ask which had the best record of staying reliable and up-to-date.

And not everyone wants to wait however long it takes for all the TeX stuff and its dependencies to build or even update from source.  Not to mention that since MacPorts seems not always to be fully _tested_ in most reasonable combinations of ports and options (and some ports are outright mutually exclusive, including a few that probably don't have to be), I can see how some folks might just want to do a single download and install of binaries.

Although I think I'd want LyX too somehow, if I were into the whole TeX world that much, unless one of those other GUI apps is something similar but better (I don't recognize most of them).  I mean, way before TeX, I could use troff macros, or even write new macros, if I really wanted to, but mostly I don't want to bother anymore…so probably I'd want a decent GUI editor too.

I imagine that if all the components were in MacPorts, it would be easy enough to have a meta-port that just existed to give single name to cause all the rest to be installed.