A port is clashing with another program installed in /opt that is not a port

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Apr 2 06:33:07 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-02, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:

> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
> /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist already exists and
> does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port dbus. Use
> 'port -f activate dbus' to force the activation.
> Error: Failed to install dbus
> ----------------------
>
> I looked at /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist and
> found that it is an alias that points to
>
> /opt/openmodelica/Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
>
> It turns that I had some time back installed Open Modelica using a .mpkg
> from a .dmg downloaded from http://openmodelica.org/, so that my /opt at the
> upper levels looks like this:
>
>     /opt/local
>     /opt/openmodelica
>
> If I take the suggestion by the MacPorts error message above to use 'port -f
> activate dbus' will this disturb anything with my Open Modelica
> installation?

So, the issue isn't that anything is installed into /opt/openmodelica,
it's that Open Modelica and MacPorts dbus want to install a launchd
plist to the same place.

I'm not familiar with Open Modelica, but it sounds like it installed
it's own copy of dbus. It's possible that you could force the install
without issue, but Open Modelica may be reliant on a specific version
of dbus and run into issues when using the version supplied by
MacPorts.

The dbus port does supply a "+no_startupitem" variant which should
skip installing the launchd plist. The launchd task isn't started by
default anyway and I think I recall that ports that depend on dbus are
usually intelligent enough to start it on their own if it's not
running (corrections welcome). I certainly don't recall running into
any issues with having not started the launchd task.

So, your best bet is to clean dbus and reinstall it with the
"+no_startupitem" variant.

port clean dbus
port install dbus +no_startupitem
port install py-spyder

It may also be worth while to report this issue to Open Modelica. I
doubt that their launchd plist is required for operation.

Better Solution:

I notice that Open Modelica suggest using MacPorts to install their
software. It may be best to remove the /opt/openmodelica directory,
the launchd plist that linked to that directory, and any other OM
files that you can find, and reinstall using MacPorts.

That you have files in /opt/openmodelica, a dbus plist that is linked
in a similar way to how MacPorts manages things, and that the
developers suggest using MacPorts to manage your installation suggests
that the binary release that they've provided was created by a
MacPorts installation from a custom prefix.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448