A port is clashing with another program installed in /opt that is not a port

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Apr 2 11:19:26 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-02, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2012, at 08:33, Arno Hautala wrote:
>
>> The dbus port does supply a "+no_startupitem" variant which should
>> skip installing the launchd plist. The launchd task isn't started by
>> default anyway and I think I recall that ports that depend on dbus are
>> usually intelligent enough to start it on their own if it's not
>> running (corrections welcome). I certainly don't recall running into
>> any issues with having not started the launchd task.
>
> There have been tons of reports over the years on the mailing list and in
> the issue tracker of problems resulting from users not reading and following
> the instructions the dbus port prints out:
>
> I am not familiar with dbus and don't use software that uses dbus, so I
> don't know if it will auto-start these daemons, but I have no reason to
> believe it will; if the above steps were not necessary to perform manually,
> I doubt the maintainer of the port would have gone to the trouble of adding
> the note.

That's valid, I was just posting my experience that I don't recall
ever actually needing to start dbus before using software that
depended on it. Granted, that does not mean than dbus never needs to
be started manually or by launchd, just that my anecdotal experience
is negative in that regard. It's also entirely possible that the
software that I've used that requires dbus doesn't actually need to
depend on dbus or even that it uses a component of dbus that doesn't
need to be started.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448