configuring and automatically launching postgresql91-server

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:36:31 PDT 2012

I just reinstalled postgresql91-server, and am revisiting a question I asked a few months ago. I am looking for the correct way for configuring and launching postgresql automatically when computer starts.

Per an email thread from Dec 20, Bradley Giesbrecht advised that I should copy /opt/local/share/postgresql90/postgresql.conf.sample to /opt/local/etc/postgresql.conf and edit it to suit my needs. Well, turns out there is a copy of postgresql.conf under my postgresql data directory as well. I init-ed a db cluster at /Volumes/mydisk/Data/db/postgresql91/defaultdb, and a whole bunch of .conf files are under this defaultdb directory.

So, which .conf file am I supposed to use? The one under defaultdb is owned by 'postgres' user, so I can't really edit that.

Additionally, even though I have done `sudo port load postgresql91-server` (as well as `sudo port load apache2`), I get the message that the port file is already loaded, yet the program doesn't really start.

Suggestions?

--
Puneet Kishor