/usr/local question

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Apr 4 01:43:36 PDT 2012

> >> Since MacPorts is not compatible with /usr/local, every time I install/update
> >> ports I had to
> >>
> >> sudo mv /usr/local /usr/local.bak
> >
> > Why would you move /usr/local?
> > Macports live under /opt/local by default
> > and have nothing to do with /usr/local.
>
> Having things installed in /usr/local often interferes with MacPorts, so we do not support users using MacPorts while there are things in /usr/local, and suggest users move or remove /usr/local.

Remove /usr/local? I must have missed this in the documentation,
can you point me please?

I thought the whole reason for living under /opt/local was *not* to
interfere with /usr/local. How exactly does having /usr/local interfere?
Things from macports silently picking up things from /usr/local?
Is that the problem?

> I don't install things there, but there are things in there
> (mostly from Mac OS) that I'd like to keep and use.

Yes, I have things in /usr/local too - stuff that is _not_
in macports (otherwise I would just install it from macports - and
have it installed under /opt/local), and local admin tools.
It would be a PITA to make that disappear during every
macports action (not that it's very often) ...