/usr/local question

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 03:22:23 PDT 2012

On 04/04/2012 10:17, Chris Jones wrote:

>> I thought the whole reason for living under /opt/local was *not*
>> to interfere with /usr/local. How exactly does having /usr/local
>> interfere? Things from macports silently picking up things from
>> /usr/local? Is that the problem?
>
> The issue is some packages have hard coded dependencies to look
> for things in /usr/local, and will use them if found. Most packages
> are developed on linux OSes, where /user/local is quite normal and
> thus they just consider this the 'right thing to do'... In
> principle packages should provide options to avoid this, and when
> they do MacPorts can use them, but not all do.
>
>>> I don't install things there, but there are things in there
>>> (mostly from Mac OS) that I'd like to keep and use.
>>
>> Yes, I have things in /usr/local too - stuff that is _not_ in
>> macports (otherwise I would just install it from macports - and
>> have it installed under /opt/local), and local admin tools. It
>> would be a PITA to make that disappear during every macports
>> action (not that it's very often) ...
>
> Perhaps the best advice is, if you find a package you need not in
> MacPorts, to build a port file for it and submit it for inclusion
> ;)

OS X's flavour of *nix is based on FreeBSD. Linux uses /usr/local &
/opt/local for users convenience for installing third-party software &
tries to make sure these directories are not overwritten by any vendor
supplied software update.

In theory you could make your yourself another directory under /usr &
call it whatever you like & do exactly the same thing but unless you
have a very reason for doing so & know what you're doing, it's an ill
advised idea.

For the general purposes of safely installing the software you require
& for general upkeep of the health & efficiency of your system, Mac
Ports does a great job & should be used as directed by its authors as
was intended unless you have good reason not to.

Just my two bob.

Cheers,

  Phil...

- --