/usr/local question

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Apr 4 08:34:48 PDT 2012

> Yes, that's what I have read. But that just says why macports
> uses /opt/local: because it cannot use /usr/local, for the reasons listed.
>
> This here is something *different*: namely, that
>
> (1) There might still be problems if the user has /usr/local around.

	• Some software (especially auto* tools from Gnu) look in /usr/local as a default location
	• /usr/local tends to be a bad choice to have taken over by a non-system port system
	• gcc considers /usr/local to be a standard system directory, causing (at least) the include directory to be unable to appear early in the list of include directories, and hence causing MacPorts-installed items to be difficult to use properly for items which need them (where another version is installed elsewhere, like/usr/X11R6)

> (2) So the user should not have /usr/local around
>
> None of that is mentioned at the above link.

It isn't explicitly stated but it is implied.