/usr/local question

Glenn English ghe at slsware.com
Wed Apr 4 09:20:50 PDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Jan Stary wrote:

> Q: "So given that macports uses /opt/local as its prefix,
> I can use /usr/local freely without worying about interference?"
>
> A: No, not really. (etc)

I'd really like to see an expansion of that "etc".

I use Linux extensively for my servers and Macs when I'm trying to be a human. /usr/local has been around for quite a while in the *nix world (it's even in the default $PATH), and I use it a little on the Macs. I can't think of what the problem is -- (seems to) work fine here :-)

--
Glenn English