/usr/local question

Glenn English ghe at slsware.com
Wed Apr 4 10:42:23 PDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Because /usr/local is searched by default by the compiler and we do not know how to turn that off, MacPorts ports might try to link with libraries you've installed in /usr/local.

Ah! Thank you; that makes sense. I'll try to stay away from installing libraries there.

I just looked, and all that's in mine is perl, python, and ruby -- I'll also keep in mind your explanation when something goes odd with a MacPorts build.

Is that default search part of the compiler code, or is it because of $PATH? If Apple doesn't use /usr/local libraries, why would they have anything to do with a compiler that forces that search? That'd result in a lot on badly bent code lying around.

This might be overkill, but have you considered adding code to your scripts to mv /usr/local to /usr/localqw (and back at the end)? Or maybe just the lib dir?

--
Glenn English