/usr/local question

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 4 20:53:09 PDT 2012

Hello,
	There is a problem with having many locations for third party
installed software and that is dependencies during build and paths to
those dependencies. Sometimes the problem also crops up when
applications are opened depending on how the library links are sought
(this is very very rare; but, does occur). If the build path is hard
specified for dependencies, then, there is no problem because the
dependency search will find or not find the dependency at the proper
location; otherwise, PATH is used and the order of search of PATH will
determine in which location a particular dependency is found to be
used, a problem if there is more than one version of a dependency
active at a time for the different installed port. I have actually had
this happen a couple of times when trying to install non-MacPorts
third party software into usr/local and having the dependency found in
opt/local.