/usr/local question

Dominik Reichardt domiman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 23:42:14 PDT 2012

Am 05.04.2012 um 00:39 schrieb Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz>:

>>> No it didn't magically ended up there. You installed it there.
>>> And you were told before you installed it there that it will
>>> end up there.
>>
>> I didn't say that, I said *magically*.
>> Of course I know there was no magic involved. Phew...
>
> Jesus, I am not implying you think it was magic.

You were behaving like a pedantic wise guy, bordering on trolling, so why not have fun with you.

>> Of course MacPorts WILL install libpng in /opt/local.
>> But when the port that requires libpng is then built the compiler may chose
>> the libpng that got installed in /usr/local.
>
> Yes. And if /usr/local was where macports installs its stuff,
> then this would mean that the compiler picked up what macports
> installed,

Yes, we know that, we wrote so a couple of times. The problem arises from all other stuff that gets installed there and would silently overwrite stuff. Or from stuff that got installed there before MacPort was even installed. Most people don't keep track of what they installed over time. That's why they use a package manager like MacPorts