/usr/local question

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Apr 5 19:05:27 PDT 2012

On 05/04/2012, at 10:00 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:

> oh... I didn't know that. I just took a look in my /usr/local, and found a whole bunch of stuff for texlive, and then various programs that I remember installing.
>
> is there a recommended place for me to put these programs?
>

> On Apr 4, 2012, at 2:12 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I don't install things there, but there are things in there (mostly from Mac OS) that I'd like to keep and use.
>>
>> I might be wrong but I understand OS X itself does not put anything in /usr/local. Anything you might have there has probably come from other third party applications you have installed, not the system itsdelf.

This is not smoke-and-mirrors.
I cannot see anything that would affect, and none of my macports are affected by the tex stuff in /usr/local
If you are not a 'developer' and the concept of 'include files' libararies' 'executables' is alien sure adopt the 'never use /usr/local' paradigsm else just be sensible

James