lib release

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Sun Apr 8 04:12:01 PDT 2012

On 8 apr 2012, at 07:17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2012, at 06:30, Daniel Ericsson wrote:
>
>> As an aside I'm curious why you need debug builds of these libraries? Developing against a normal release build shouldn't really be a problem. My perception is that mostly debug builds are to help with the development of the libraries themselves?
>
> I'd say that's not an aside—that's the central question. Why debug builds? We'd need a good answer to that before we should consider adding debug variants to any ports. (I'm unclear why we have debug variants on the ports that we already have them on.)
>
> A ticket was recently filed to add a debug variant to MacPorts base, for inclusion in all ports:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33821
>
> I expressed the same reservations there. An answer was provided there. I don't know how to respond to it; I'm not sure if this is a road MacPorts wants to start down.

A default debug variant for all ports seems excessive.

I'd make a distinction between ports that only supply an end user binary and those that supply a library that can be developed against. Doesn't feel unreasonable to me to add debug variants to ports that supply libraries with the understanding that a developer that want to use that library with it's debug functionality, has to do a requested install of it.

-- Daniel