port selfupdate not working

James Benstead james.benstead at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 18:36:27 PDT 2012

On running sudo port selfupdate I get the following error:

jims-mbp-2:default jim$ sudo port selfupdate
--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 1.9.2 installed,
MacPorts base version 2.0.4 downloaded.
--->  MacPorts base is outdated, installing new version 2.0.4
Installing new MacPorts release in /opt/local as root:admin; permissions
0755; Tcl-Package in /Library/Tcl

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new
MacPorts base: shell command failed (see log for details)

I haven't attached the log file as I don't know where to find it. What's
the best way to go about fixing this problem?