Kontact, korganiser, kadressbook and kmail (kdepim4) don't work

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 16:09:57 PDT 2012

On 11/04/2012, at 5:48 AM, Michael Parchet wrote:
> I have install the kdepim4 package but no program no program work.
>
> Have you already  test some program of this package.
>
> Is there a bug ?
>
> See attachment the reports.
>
> Do I send a ticket ?

I would suggest you contact a KDE mailing list and attach your files.

Try kde-devel at kde.org or better still
wait for moderation on that one.

Last year I was trying to get just KMail to work on Macbook (I did not
need the other PIM modules, but I had a large archive of emails in
KMail format).  I had the same sorts of problems you had with getting
Akonadi set up.  You need qt4-mac with one of the database variants,
and an industrial-strength database manager such as mysql, and then
there is Nepomuk/Strigi which also require an i-s DBMS and so on…

You can configure Akonadi up to a point.  It is the "middle man" for all
the KDE PIM modules now (Kontact, etc.), including KMail.

I gave up.  In the end I settled for Apple's Mail app.  I just wanted to read
and write mail … :-)

I went on the kde-devel mailing list and asked whether it is possible
nowadays to obtain a version of KMail without Akonadi and all the
dependencies, but apparently it is not.

This makes me sad.  I have been a KDE developer for several years,
but last year my Linux machine died suddenly and I had to get something
else up and running in a hurry.  Macports came to the rescue <raises hat>.

Maybe it is just too hard to run things that are tightly integrated into a
Linux/KDE desktop on an Apple desktop.  What do others think?

OTOH I have had good experiences on Macports with KDE and Qt libs
and KDE-based applications, such as KMyMoney.  And I am also able
to develop and test KDE apps on my Macbook.  Thanks Macports!

All the best, IanW.