location of pkgconfig files for python libraries

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Thu Apr 12 12:22:06 PDT 2012

Hi --

I have several versions of python and pygtk installed and switch between them using "port select python ...".   The port py25-gtk installs pygtk-2.0.pc in /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig, where I expect it to be.  But py27-gtk puts it in
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/pkgconfig/, which is confusing build scripts that use pkg-config.  Is this intentional, or a bug in py27-gtk?  (py26-gtk, py26-gobject, and py27-gobject have similar behavior.)

The result of this is that I end up using py25-gtk's version of pygtk-2.0.pc even when building with python27.  This actually works ok, because I don't use the parts of pygtk-2.0.pc that differ between the two versions.  But when building my software with python27 on a computer on which py25-gtk hasn't been installed, the .pc file isn't found and the build script fails.

Am I expected to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH when switching python versions?  Shouldn't "port select python" copy the .pc files from /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python... to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig?

Thanks,
     Steve

--
-- EMail: stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Phone: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/                      Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."               --
--                              Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --