Simple way to install binary archives?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 17:13:03 PDT 2012

On Apr 12, 2012, at 15:05, Michael Klein wrote:

> If I copy a .tbz2 archive file from /opt/local/var/macports/software to the same directory on another machine (with same architecture and variants.conf), is that supposed to work?

Assuming the OS version, architecture(s) and variant(s) match, yes.

> "port install" indeed picks up the archive, but can't find the +CONTENTS file due to a leading "./" path component:
>
> $ sudo port -v install subversion --->  Computing dependencies for subversion.
> --->  Installing subversion @1.7.4_0+no_bdb
> Error: Target org.macports.install returned: /usr/bin/tar: +CONTENTS: Not found in archive
> /usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Is that (leading ./ path component) really what it's due to? We've had some other reports of "+CONTENTS: Not found in archive" (search issue tracker) that we weren't able to figure out, aside from assuming the user got a corrupted download somehow.