Which version of "Wine", or am I on the wrong track?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 10:56:48 PDT 2012

I am not sure which version of Wine to install from Macports (there
are three), or if this is even the right approach for what I want to
do.

The goal: Edit a "movie" (screen recording), from the view that 80-90%
of what I recorded will be tossed.
iMovie is a failure (as far as I can tell) as selecting sections and
removing them.
This means I'm going to use VirtualDub (only program I've found so far
that is good at selecting lots of specific frame ranges and tossing
them).
And this means I'm going to need either XviD or DivX for Windows (or
am I wrong?)
Note that the standard apple mp4 encoder does not produce good enough quality.

A quick look shows three different, incompatible versions of wine,
with different sets of patches and features.
Additionally, Crossover has their commercial version with their "keep
everything separate/bottles" feature.

So what's the proper version of Wine, to get VirtualDub and Divx or
Xvid, and has anyone already done this and knows what warnings to
watch out for?